Incense In The Wind

Radiating Incense In The Wind - a painting by Hai Linh Le

Friday 8 March 2013

Mysore Sughandi Gateway of India




The more I burn this incense the less I like it. I was so enthusiastic when I first burned, but I am becoming more aware of the synthetic nature of the perfume which is becoming unpleasantly intrusive. Perhaps the perfume doesn't age well, and the sticks need to be burned shortly after first opening the pack. Anyway, at the moment I would not recommend these sticks, and am unlikely to want to buy them again.

Date: 21 August 2013    Score: 29



A highly scented floral incense by the Mysore Sugandhi Dhoop Factory of Bangalore, Gateway of India really is quite a beautiful aroma. Bought from the online Asian Cookshop for just 55p for 25g (approx 18 - 20 sticks), the sticks come in a very attractive tube packet - much as I remember they used to in the early 70s before the hex box became popular. There is an image of an ancient building - possibly the gateway of the name - against a pastel powder blue background, and the ends of the tube have images of assorted flowers against a pale yellow background. It has a lovely retro feel to it - possibly the result of the design not having changed for many years.

The sticks are machine dipped on a very impressive machine that leaves the sticks with the neatest, most uniform appearance I have encountered. They are mat black and perfectly round, with the incense stopping very neatly with no smearing on the bamboo stick, which is dyed red. The smoke is reasonably heavy with a dull grey tone which has highlights of blue; it is very soft and pleasant to inhale. The aroma has a base of wood smoke and faint sandalwood, with citric and violets rising to rose and lily of the valley, and sweet berry notes, especially blueberry. It is quite gorgeous - while highly scented, it is not overwhelming or too dense. There are few off-notes or unpleasantness - while the ingredients may include chemical aromas (there is a suggestion of that in the quality of the scent), the resulting aroma is pleasant enough. The aroma blend is unique to Mysore Sughandi, and is well worth seeking out. It leaves a clean, pleasant and fresh feel to the room with floral hints and sweet berry notes. This can remain for many hours, keeping a room pleasant and welcoming. A great incense.

Date: 8 March 2013   Score: 31


I have found that Aargee Rose is very similar.  Oddly, while I have been bringing down the score of Gateway of India, I have been moving up the score of Aargee Rose!


***

Mysore Sugandhi



3 comments:

  1. I remember buying this one many years ago. I was enchanted and delighted by the slightly exotic perfume that filled the room, merely upon opening the pack. I do agree with you, as time goes by and the sticks age, they do lose their initial charming fragrance and take on an odd, chemical, cheap imitation perfume-like character. A pity. Otherwise it would have been a not-too-bad "daily" incense for burning "just because"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree it's a pity, because the packaging has such charm, and the initial floral aroma is quite intoxicating. The sticks are quite cheap, and I might try them again to remind myself how they are when fresh. I think these are sticks that are best used up within a week or so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have noticed they are similar to Aargee Rose (https://incenseinthewind.blogspot.co.uk/2015/12/aargee-rose-tube-series.html).

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment: