Incense In The Wind

Radiating Incense In The Wind - a painting by Hai Linh Le

Saturday 27 April 2013

Sumati Padma Tibetan Incense


Large pack of incense from the local shop in Rochester for £2.99. About 36 long sticks (just over a foot long - approx 31cm).  Though called "Tibetan", the incense is made in Nepal, and distributed by Sumati Padma. It is made by monks in various monasteries according to the traditions of Tibet, which means that it is a dhoop incense, sticks of incense without bamboo. Herbs and spices and other natural ingredients (35 different ingredients in all) are made into a paste, and then extruded into long lines, which are cut into roughly foot long sticks and left to dry.The appearance and colour is of dried camel dung - it is dry to touch, with no powder. As there is no bamboo core, and the stick is thicker than the average Indian stick, it won't fit into regular incense holders. I use a little brass bowl filled with sand.

The aroma is very earthy and herby. It is fairly basic, but that is part of the natural charm. It smells like burning grass, leaves and herbs - and I suppose, essentially, that is what is happening. The monks collect and dry herbs and leaves, crush them, mould them with sandalwood paste into sticks, which I am now burning. So I am burning dried leaves. It's not an aroma to get excited about. It's moderately pleasant with nothing offensive about it, and does cover up unpleasant aromas. The sticks produce a decent amount of smoke, and the aroma is noticeable without being over-powering, so this is very good value for money. The sticks are long and burn for a long time. I break them in two - though they can be broken into several pieces to allow for the exact amount of incense required. A downside, is that they are so long, the box takes up a lot of room, and doesn't quite fit into my incense drawer.

Overall, an attractive basic everyday low cost incense that is particularly useful for covering up bad smells. Nothing exciting, and there are some minor drawbacks, so it's not one I would rush to buy again - but I'll keep an eye out for other Tibetan incense.

Score: 27    Saturday, 27 April 2013


After rating, I kept the sticks in the kitchen, as that feels the most appropriate place for them. Over time I came to appreciate their earthy aroma more and more while cooking, or to clean up the room in the morning, and would reach for them in preference over other sticks I had rated slightly higher. Now they are finished I want to buy them again, and was disappointed went I went into my local shop to get some more, that they didn't have any. But I have bought some other "Tibetan" incense to try out.

Score: 30   Friday, 10 January 2014

***




2 comments:

  1. I read your blog it’s really good and impressive having good information about the
    Incense Sticks Manufacturers in India, Agarbathi Exporters In India
    and many other Incense sticks. For more details please visit our website

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment: