Incense In The Wind

Radiating Incense In The Wind - a painting by Hai Linh Le

Thursday 27 June 2013

Mahendra Betco Saraswathi

Second review - scroll down for the first


While sorting out my collection of incense  (or rather the mess of packets and boxes everywhere) I came across this packet of Betco's Saraswathi. I had reviewed this product in 2013, the year I started my incense blog, so it is interesting to revisit now, with over three years of  incense burning experience and knowledge acquired. One of the things I have picked up from the few (and now pretty much all closed) other incense blogs, is that perfume-dipped (or rather scented solvent-dipped, as the sticks are not actually dipped in perfume, but a solvent of essential oils and/or chemicals that produce agreeable scents when burned) incense sticks are vulgar and nasty, while incense sticks made the traditional way from natural ingredients ground down into a masala and mixed with a paste that is then rolled onto the stick are heavenly and artistic. And I certainly get where they are coming from. The incense that I tend to get the most enjoyment and satisfaction from is the traditional masala incense. The incense that is the most disappointing and crude is the chemical-dipped sticks. However, what I have found is that now and again there is a dipped stick where the chemists have made a compelling and attractive scent that burns agreeably. I am particularly pleased when this happens, as I am very sensitive to one of the ingredients that is favoured in masala sticks, and that is halmaddi - it tends to cause my eyes to sting, catches in my throat, and gives me trouble breathing. Halmaddi is not present in perfume-dipped sticks, and so I don't get that problem (though I do sometimes object to the bluntly chemical nature of some of the scents, which can also be physically irritating). Anyway, this Saraswathi, is one of those chemical based incense sticks that is attractive. The scent is teasing and attractive, a little wayward - it has floral notes underpinned with something warmer that is almost sandalwood, but not as musky. There is rose, there is some citrus, and there is, sadly, some of the pine disinfectant that all too often appears in the chemical incenses. It's not disagreeable, but it's not a scent that excites or lifts the soul. As with almost all the chemical incense, this is not a stick you would use to create a fine mood, but if, like me, you burn a lot of incense, this is an exceptionally fine everyday stick that lifts itself above the crowd. It's modern, alluring, a little different. I like it.

Date: Feb, 2017   Score: 33 [This score is over five years old so may not be reliable] 




Betco Saraswathi incense sticks ("Incense of the Hindu Gods") - £1.45 for 20 from TribesAndVibes. Betco is the export brand of  Mahendra Perfumery Works of Bangalore who were formed in 1921.

As with Betco Hanuman that I just reviewed, this is a well made incense; hand-rolled from a charcoal paste onto a thick, undyed stick. The problem with thick sticks, is that the incense paste must match the thickness, otherwise the stick ash lingers in a fibre string, which makes it a little awkward if you want to damp out the incense. Ideally, incense and stick should burn at the same rate. Anyway - the stick has a pleasant aroma - a good blend of fruit notes and some soap. It does tend to remind me of washing machine powder, which is a slight downer, and there's a synthetic feel about some of the floral notes, but on the whole it's an OK scent. On burning, the scent is inclined more toward smoke than perfume, and it's a little hot and soapy, but it is decent quality, and is more pleasant than many of the other brands I have tried. The scent is floral - quite rose like, but pleasantly so. It is a perfumed scent, creating an uplifting yet refined mood mood suitable for living room or bedroom.

Saraswathi is another Hindu god, and these sticks appear to be part of a set named after Hindu gods. I think this is a decent and intriguing brand of good quality sticks, and I will search out some more.

Date: June 2013   Score 33
***

Mahendra Betco - Best of

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment: