Incense In The Wind

Radiating Incense In The Wind - a painting by Hai Linh Le

Friday 30 August 2013

Darshan Kanishka





A very pleasing and natural feeling vanilla incense. I like vanilla, but haven't - until now - found a vanilla incense that I found smelled naturally of vanilla. Hand-rolled charcoal base which is dipped in quite pungent and attractive perfume. Hex box of 20 sticks bought for only 47p from Indiabazaar on Amazon - though the price is currently 60p direct from Indiabazaar's own (slow to load) website.

The sticks are made by Darshan International of Bangalore who claim they have been in existence for five decades, while being founded in 1987 and 2000.

The fragrance is firm and heady without being assertive or over-bearing. It is soft, seductive, welcoming and very pleasing. My preference is for masala incense, but occasionally a perfume dipped incense will quite impress and excite me, as this one does. Experience, sadly, tends to show that perfume dipped sticks don't retain their fresh and natural bouquet for long - and subsequent burnings tend to reveal flaws, particularly where synthetic perfumes have been used. The perfumes may become stale and unpleasant. At the moment, however, this one is fresh and very relaxing and attractive. I would be inclined to buy this again.

Score:  31 - August 2013





I like this. Honey and vanilla and sandalwood. It's not a great scent, but it's warm and seductive and very appealing. There is the sense of the chemical origin, but very lightly, and not harsh or offensive. This is a gentle, seductive, sensual, and slightly sexy scent. Suitable for evenings and bedrooms, though could also be used at any time, as the perfume is quite refined and inviting.  I'm liking this slightly more than I did two years ago.

Score: 35 - May 2015

Average score: 33

***

Top Ten Perfume-Dipped
Incense Sticks

Darshan Incense

Vanilla

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for review. I like this one too, but it makes my throat sore and somewhat sharp sensation in the eyes. Must be something in the smoke, so I do not use it very often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean. All the Darshan incense I have tried have used volatile oils as the scent source, which on some people can have the effect you describe. This Kanishka is the incense I have enjoyed the most from Darshan, and while being cheaply perfume dipped, it still manages to produce a pleasant and complex aroma.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment: