Incense In The Wind

Radiating Incense In The Wind - a painting by Hai Linh Le

Sunday 12 October 2014

Metro Lavender

Second review - scroll down for earlier

I reviewed some Metro incenses back at the start of IncenseInTheWind. I was attracted by the bright glossy packets, the cute cat logo, and that this is an incense maker outside of the traditional home of India. Of course, Pakistan was once part of India before the dreadful Partition in which millions were displaced from their homes, and an estimated one million died as the British approved a plan to split India into a non-Muslim centre, and two Muslim enclaves on either side which would become Pakistan and Bangladesh. So, as Pakistan was once part of India, it still adheres to some traditions - such as incense making. Though Metro is the only significant incense company I am aware of in Pakistan. 

The box is a standard oblong - it's plain white cardboard covered in thin shiny coloured plastic sheet. Peeling back the opening thread starts to remove all the decoration. So be it. There's 18 machine extruded synthetic-perfumed charcoal sticks per pack - approx 25g. I must have picked these up in a shop - there's a 70p price sticker on it. I think I got it from a corner shop when I was buying some Heera incense last year - following up on a reader's query. The sticks are a standard (for perfumed incense) 9 inches long, with 7 inches of charcoal. There's a chemical lavender scent on the stick which smells like one of those blue toilet blocks. Mild volatility. Black smoke on first being lit. The burn is modest and pleasant through largely indifferent. I'm not getting much lavender on the burn, though there is a light synthetic floral note. It's not delicious or exciting or interesting or uplifting, but it's not offensive either. It is what it is - a low cost reasonably pleasant synthetic floral room freshener. There's a little spice now and again, and it does vaguely wander into lavender, though I also note bubble-gum. But that could be my imagination, or some scents drifting in from elsewhere. It's meh - it'll do to give some floral colour and lightness to a room, but it's not something to recommend, or to seek out again. I got it simply because I was curious if and by how much my opinion had changed from ten years ago. Well, I'm a little more relaxed and accepting today, so I'm giving a higher score - but not by much....


Date: Feb 2024  -  Score: 23 


First review

A little bit too chemical smelling for my taste. Smells like toilet cleaner. Not good.


Date: Oct 2014  Score: 20
***

Incense by Country


Best of Lavender


Metro Agarbatti Company of Pakistan


4 comments:

  1. My friend from Pakistan actually gifted 4 metro incenses, Original metromilan, sandalwood , 3 in 1 and darbar, I loved the original metromilan and darbar. I also got some srilankan incense from my friend and I’m surprised that Cycle Brand also has their manufacturing facility in Katunayke. Apparently the cycle brand there is a joint venture of N.Ranga Rao and Sons and Eswaran Brothers Exports.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only ever had one Sri Lanka incense -
      D'Las Aura Jasmine
      .

      It has always been my intention to explore incense around the world - but I seem to have got locked into exploring incense from India for years now. And people keep sending me more samples! I'll never get my backlog down!

      Have you reviewed any of the Sri Lanka incense yet?

      Delete
    2. Well I’ll review Amritha Original

      Delete
    3. Let me know when you've reviewed it.

      Delete

Please leave a comment: