Incense In The Wind

Radiating Incense In The Wind - a painting by Hai Linh Le

Friday 29 May 2015

Aromatika Ace Scents Musk

Second review - scroll down for earlier 


Machine extruded, as are others in the Ace Scents range, though with a soft powdery covering of melnoorva (tree bark) to give the impression of masala. The perfume on the stick is delightful, though more akin to sandalwood than to musk. Creamy, sweet, floral (jasmine mostly) touches of light, watery fruit like peaches and watermelon. This is a very fine sandalwood, and though it has musky elements, it's a poor musk.  I like it for what it is rather than for what it is not, though some points deducted for failing to be what it promises. 
The burn is a little smoky and scratchy, not as sweet and charming as the scent on the stick, though it approximates much of that core fragrance. The burn scent is a little more peppery and challenging, which makes it somewhat more interesting, albeit less attractive. 
On the whole I like this. It appears to be the same scent profile as I had in 2015, but is more in line with my current taste in incense. 


Date: April 2024    Score: 35 




First review


I'm enjoying these Aromatika sticks, and I like musk, so I was expecting to enjoy this one a little more than I am. The sticks are made in the same way - a charcoal and sandalwood powder paste is applied by what appears to be a machine (very even rounded application which stops cleanly at the bottom), and then while still damp, rolled in a fine masala powder which contains a perfumed fragrance. The scent on the stick is quite sweet and refined and perfumed, not rustic, and earthy and musky as one would expect from a stick labelled "Musk". On burning there is a fair amount of the base sandalwood and charcoal present, but little of the declared scent. There's a suggestion of halmaddi (which I like, but it's not my favourite incense resin because it catches in my throat), but not much of musk. The scent is a little hot, and while it has pleasant moments, is nowhere near as attractive as Aromatika's Dragon Blood and Frankincense & Myrrh.  I don't think I will be buying this again.


Date: May 2015 - Score: 28

***


Musk


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment: