Incense In The Wind

Radiating Incense In The Wind - a painting by Hai Linh Le

Tuesday 26 January 2016

Tulasi Vidwan



Oh my goodness this is lovely. I've burned a fair amount of masala incense since I last reviewed this in January of 2016 - a lot of smoke under the bridge since then! - and in that time this has grown in my estimation. I would agree with my 2016 sense that the initial promise is the best part of the burn - it opens with a sweet burst of honey and vanilla, then settles down into the more robust and earthy elements of musk, sandalwood, and patchouli with a degree of heat and a pinch of peppery halmaddi, but it remains wonderful. I think the difference between my 2016 self and my 2018 self is that I have grown more acclimatised to the scratchy halmaddi so it doesn't have quite the negative impact on me now as it did back then.  Yes, this is a proper job masala, and a really good 'un.

Date: July 2018   Score:  39




I had written off Tulasi as a brand not worth buying any more as it is part of Sarathi International, the largest incense works in Bangalore, which just seemed to churn out cheap synthetic perfume dipped sticks en masse. But then I read a review on  Lesley's blog of Tulasi Vidwan, which caught my attention, so I bought some off eBay for £3.55 (inc postage) for 25g. The company market Vidwan as a Premium Incense, and looking at their catalogue they seem to have a few other products that may be work checking out, including the Sri Govinda range, reviewed by ORS, which doesn't appear to be available in the UK.

I like the packaging. It's traditional, retro, simple yet classic, and has a feel of quality. From the company's (outdated) FaceBook page, you get a sense of the pride they take in their packaging. Not everyone is into packaging. I am. I like goods to come in packaging that shows the manufacturer takes a pride and a care. Poor printing, and sloppy artwork doesn't impress me. Packaging doesn't need to be expensive or flashy, but it should reflect some of the care and thought that went into the product. The name Vidwan means someone knowledgeable, such as an expert in Hindu philosophy or Indian classical music. On opening the gold foil inner packet the aroma rushes out - very sweet, like white chocolate and vanilla ice cream, with just a faint touch of fresh rubber, like rubber bands. Wonderful. The sticks are long with a hand-rolled charcoal base onto which a fine masala mix of natural ingredients has been rolled.

On burning the scent is quite heady and fairly strong with a faint sense of the damp wool and human sweat of halmaddi, but only faint. The base notes are patchouli and sandalwood, and that's pretty much where it stays. No real top notes. I like patchouli and sandalwood, but this one is a little harsh. Initially I was quite excited, and felt I would score this high, but when the aroma didn't develop and the harshness lingered, I could feel the score coming down. It's a good incense, miles better than the standard perfume-dipped Tulasi, but it doesn't quite live up to the promise of the initial aroma. However, I like it enough to consider buying again, and will play around comparing it to some of my favourite sandalwood incenses. Burning time is well over one hour.

I have been impressed. Even chemical factories can produce decent traditional incense!

Date: Jan 2016   Score:  34
***
More Tulasi reviews


2 comments:

  1. You should try Tulasi’s Sandalwood Masala incense and Tulasi’s firdaus incense. These are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip. I've just ordered a bunch of Tulasi masala incense from JustAromatherapy.co.uk - I'll let you know how I get on. I didn't notice the Firdaus, so will keep my eye out for that.

      Delete

Please leave a comment: