Incense In The Wind

Radiating Incense In The Wind - a painting by Hai Linh Le

Sunday 26 February 2017

Hebei Gucheng Sandalwood Incense Coils




These are great fun. Not great incense, but great fun. They are available on eBay for around £6 a box including postage. Inside the box are around 12-15 packets containing the coils. There are two coils in each pack, and - here's the tricky part - they are one inside the other, so you have to separate the two coils before burning. There is a cute little tin stand like a bird, for holding the coil, but I've lost mine! I rigged up a Heath Robinson contraption (or a Rube Goldberg machine for American readers) in order to hold the coil. I think it's a really fun way of burning incense - something a little bit different. There are other coils - I reviewed one a couple of years ago - some nasty smelling insect repellent incense coil that I didn't like. This one is made by Hebei Gucheng in China, where, as in Japan and Tibet/Nepal, they extrude a fragrant paste into stick or coil shapes rather than putting a paste onto a bamboo stick.

It has a basic sandalwood aroma, not particularly good. I like sandalwood but I don't burn this particular one very often to be honest. There is just too much faff for too little reward. And now that I have lost the holder I think I'll just chuck the rest away.  I mean, it's a not a bad incense, there are plenty, plenty worse than this, it's just that even with a poor incense, you can just pick it up, light it, and walk away. So a poor incense can be used to quickly cover up the smell of the drains or a nasty session in the toilet, but by the time you'd set up and lit this incense, the bad smell would have knocked you out.

Date: Feb 2017   Score: 19
***


Incense by Country

Sandalwood

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment: