Incense In The Wind

Radiating Incense In The Wind - a painting by Hai Linh Le

Sunday 27 August 2017

Happy Hari Incense (out of business)




Happy Hari's Incense was run by Paul Eagle. A strong and colourful character who was liked by some as being a straight talker, and disliked by others for being a little bit too pushy and assertive. He had been out to India and become enthusiastic about some of the masala incenses he found out there being made by a cottage industry, that could be bought and imported to the UK at little cost. He started out as Small Happy Eagle Enterprises, morphing into Kings of Incense, and then Happy Hari - the names sometimes being used all at the same time. Some people thought that he himself was called Hari (or Harry), though that, apparently, was the name of his son in India, who he would visit regularly.

Paul Eagle, owner of Happy Hari, (1956-2016)

I bought a packet of Happy Hari's Gold Nag Champa, and wrote a positive review, which Paul read, and he got in touch. He really sounded interesting, and he was about my age, and seemed like an old hippy like me. I was curious as to how he had started up his incense business back in the 1990s. We talked about doing an interview for this blog, and he sent me some incense samples to review. Unfortunately he became busy, and I became busy, so we weren't able to schedule a date for the interview, but he sent me a link to an interview he'd done for a local London radio show, Resonance, in Sept 2014, and also a link to a video he made of his first batch of Nag Champa Gold being made. I had to concentrate on other things for a while, so stopped working on this blog, then when I came back to incense I discovered that Paul had closed down his business, and it eventually emerged that he killed himself on Christmas Day 2016.

The incense he imported is still being made in India. I don't recall that he told me who his source was, but whoever it was, that person will still be making the same incense, and perhaps it will make its way into the UK under other names. Meanwhile his own branded incense is still available in various shops both on the streets and online. Though when stocks are gone, they may not be replaced. There was a suggestion that the Dhuni brand he took over in 2013, would continue in America, but that appears to have been simply a confusion over the name Dhuni. Corey Topel of Absolute Bliss incense in the USA has been in touch to tell me that not only does he have stocks of Happy Hari incense, but he also has details of Paul's supplier. Corey assures me that the Happy Hari he has at this store is the same as that which Paul was selling. Holly Paige of Cultures of Eden, for which Paul supplied Cultures of Eden branded incense, is now trading as Food For Consciousness, and she continues to sell Paul's incense, and says  "through serendipitous connections" she has "a source of incense from the Happy Hari suppliers, plus new scents from one of his apprentices" and, as of Sept 2021, appears to no longer be selling incense on her website.  It's all looking quite interesting, and quite hopeful. I suspect, given the similarity I am discovering between Paul's Cultures of Eden branded incense, and some of the incense sold by the small British distributors Gokula, that what Holly has serendipitously discovered as a supplier is Gokula, or perhaps the Indian supplier that  Gokula uses.

Paul Eagle imported quality incense into the UK for over 20 years. Opinions are divided about his character and the incense he imported, but most people who have experienced the incenses have found at least one that is among the most enjoyable they have ever had. The most popular are Dhuni, Nag Champa Gold, Queen of Lotus, and Meena Supreme. I love the Oudh Masala. Here is the remains of one of Paul's Happy Hari websites. 

Paul sent me a radio interview he had done for Resonance FM, a London community radio station, back in 2014, but I lost it. I have just found it on the internet: The Dragon In My Smoke


Reviews


Happy Hari Oudh Masala
Aug 2017 - Score: 48*

 
Sept 2023 - Score: 47



Happy Hari Kings of Incense
Queen of Roses

Feb 2022 - Score: 46



Kings of Incense Queen of Lotus
Feb 2022 - Score: 45



Happy Hari Meena Supreme 
Oct 2020 - Score: 44 



Dhuni
March 2017 - Score: 42*


Cultures of Eden Darshan Flora
(also see 
Gopala Darshan Flora
June 2018 - Score: 42*


Happy Hari's Nag Champa Gold
Dec 2017 - Score: 38*


Kings of Incense King of Amber
Aug 2017 - Score: 37*


Kings of Incense King of Frankincense
Sept 2017 - Score: 36*


Padma Store Happy Hari Niyama Sutra
Sept 2023    Score: 36 

  
 
Happy Hari's Nag Champa Tru Blu 
Dec 2022 - Score: 34



Happy Hari Yogi Sutra Asana Sutra (P)
Aug 2019 - Score: 32


Kings of Incense King of Sandalwood
March 2022 - Score: 31



(see also Gokula Vrindavan Flower)
June 2018 - Score: 30*


Cultures of Eden Kerala Flower 
Aug 2018 - Score: 30*



 
Dec 2022 - Score: 28 


Padma Store Happy Hari Queen of Roses 
Sept 2023 - Score: 25 

 

Kings of Incense King of Myrrh
Feb 2022 - Score: 22


Cultures of Eden Green Garden Incense
June 2018 - Score: 
20


Scents tried: 15
Highest: 48
Lowest: 20
Average: 37

Conclusion: Paul Eagle found a quality incense maker, and for over 20 years imported decent incense into the UK. I have enjoyed the incenses I have tried - they are certainly above average, and I am now attempting to grab those scents I haven't yet tried, and to buy a few more packets of those scents I like.

Rest in peace, Paul.

***
 
Own brand distributors


Vintage Incense
(Incense not available from
this brand for over a year)





14 comments:

  1. Thats a beautiful write up Steve!
    I found this by seeking Pauls radio interview.
    Only thing that's not correct is that Dhuni was never Pauls. The UK owners of these amazing temple Masala Agarbatties went out of business and Paul received their mailing list which he told me have no results.. Dhuni went out of business when the supplier stopped responding to them. All I know on that..

    A year ago today Pauls brother and I received the sad news of his passing in the same fb message from Pauls friend Studip in Goa.
    In late October when Paul was closing shop he messaged asking if i promiced to give 10% of anything I ordered thru his suppliers that he would give me the name of his supplier.
    He kept his word and I keep mine.
    The funds go to his ex wife and sons. Hari and Kenny.
    The last year has been a struggle but getting a handle on it.
    Be glad to send samples of fresh stock and a few new.
    Peace,
    Corey Topel
    www.absoluteblissincense.com
    Absoluteblissincense@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hello, I am writing from Peru i used to byy from Paul, I am very sorry he passed away I just knew about it today. I still lokking for his high quality incense of sandalwood, meena supreme and others. Please email me if you have them or similar : etnotienda.com@gmail.com

      thank you

      Delete
    2. You could try getting in touch with Corey Topel at
      www.absoluteblissincense.com
      Absoluteblissincense@yahoo.com

      He has some supplies of Happy Hari, and he is continuing the line as he is in touch with Paul's supplier.

      Delete
  2. Hi Corey

    Thanks for getting in touch. My blog entry on Dhuni is here:

    http://incenseinthewind.blogspot.co.uk/2017/03/dhuni.html

    My understanding was that Paul took over the brand name Dhuni in 2013. But that's not accurate? Was it just the existing stock he took over? I'm pretty sure that it was Paul who sent me the Dhuni to review. I think that would have been in 2015.

    A company wrote to me telling me they had taken over the Dhuni incense, but they appear to no longer be trading.

    I picked up some Nag Champa Gold in a packet much like those that Paul used. I've not yet tried them. I still have some of Paul's Gold left, so I intend to burn them side by side to see if they are the same. The company name is TheIndianConnection, and they are UK based.

    I'm always happy to receive samples, but I can't promise when I'll be able to do a review. I have been busy on other projects for the past few months, and am just now finding time to get back onto this one, so you catch me at a good time. But I do have a back load to get through, and existing samples will take priority over new ones.

    My address is:

    2 Church Road
    Southampton
    SO19 9FS
    England

    You can also email me

    silktork@gmail.com


    Warm regards, and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've just re-read your message.

    Your incense is the same as Paul's? Is that what you are saying?

    If that's the case then any samples you send will take priority!


    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sad to read this. I have just returned from Orgiva in Spain where I very first bought Happy Harri incense several years ago in the market. The guy told us he was ‘Harri’ himself selling from a board at the hippy end of the market and we bought many packets, some I still have in the drawer. We got hooked on Oud masala incense and actually went looking for ‘Harri’ again this time. I can’t swear to it that our Harri was Paul but such a shame and a loss none the less.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It might have been Paul you spoke to. His photo is above in the post, and there is a link to a radio interview he did, where you can hear his distinctive gruff London voice; that should help you identify if it was him. Corey sent me a video a little while back of Paul playing with a skiffle band in the street. I might go find that and link it here.

      Delete
    2. Hi Steve. Ive only just seen your reply as I came back to tell you about my new find. Thanks so much and yes, we do think it was Paul, especially with the accent. I have spent a fortune trying to find something as nice as the oudh masala. I remembered you loved it too and wanted to let you know about my find on amazon that is as near as Ive ever found. Nandita Dehn Al Oudh is the name sold by buyer express fulfilled by amazon. Sooo good. Hope you agree as if you loved Pauls Oudh masala as much as we did you will have missed it a lot. Cheers.

      Delete
    3. Hi KB

      I really love some Nandita, especially their Wood Spice, but I didn't really get on with a sample I had of Dehn Al Oudh. But I'm quite happy to give it another go on your recommendation.

      I have a good stock of Paul's Oudh. Stocks of all his incense is going, but (at least last year) some could be found in odd places such as smoking paraphernalia shops.

      Ah, here's one stockist on eBay: Happy Hari Incense Oudh Masala 8 sticks (eBay)

      Grab 'em while you can!


      Delete
    4. Oh. Hang on. I just checked their picture, and it doesn't match what I have. Now, you will find a lot of imitation Happy Hari incense on the market, particularly his Gold Nag Champa. Some people claim to have the same supplier, but nobody knows for sure. I'm not saying that what they have isn't genuine Happy Hari, ashe did change his designs a lot. I have several of the Gold Nag Champa in different designs. But I don't know if that is genuine. I'd say buy just one pack to start, to see if you like it.

      I do know that Gokula Incense use some of the same suppliers, and they are excellent value for money. Even if the incense is not the same, the bulk of what they import is of the same quality. They are certainly worth trying.

      Delete
  5. the range was good with some exceptional(lotus,oud,meena supreme,blue champa,nag champa,).
    New incenses are being made and are in the style of happy hari and every bit as good if not better.
    dhuni was beyond comprehension,nothing compares,how i want to buy more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Joe. It's been a while since we spoke. How you getting on?

    I did write a response just now, in which I gave a link to an Italian branded masala incense which I find has qualities reminiscent of Dhuni, but it appears to have gone missing.

    The company is Fiore D'Oriente. They are usually found in incense shops, but can be bought online from Amazon stores.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment: