Incense In The Wind

Radiating Incense In The Wind - a painting by Hai Linh Le

Thursday 31 August 2017

Tulasi Turmeric




I've reached the infamous Tulasi Turmeric on my extended Tulasi Re-review Weekend. And it just goes to show that you should always keep an open mind, and always allow for a second chance. I thought this was a dreadful incense when I tried it during the 2017 Tulasi Review, and for a while it was my lowest rated incense. But, trying it now, and I'm not appalled by the smell. It's not a charming incense - I find it a little too savoury and sombre, and a little too, well, like turmeric; but, it has a faint sense of curry, it's a little bit woody, a little bit earthy. It's OK.  Not an incense to throw away.

Now then. Why do I now accept this incense, but last year get appalled by it. I had a similar (though deeper) negative reaction to Wild Berry's Fizzy Pop, which I also thought smelled of burning hair. Hmmm. Could it be that a hair got caught in the incense as I was burning it, or perhaps a hair got caught in the incense as it was being made? I shall try the Fizzy Pop again to see if I get the same reaction as last time.

Meanwhile, I shall move this incense up a few points, as while it's unlikely to become a favourite of mine, it is better than 0 points.

Date: June 2018   Score: 16





Turmeric spice is frequently used in Asian cooking, especially curries. It has a warm, earthy aroma - quite spicy and savoury. I've not seen it used as the main scent in incense previously, though it is one of the five primary ingredients in Buddhist incense. It is also used in Ayurveda medicine. The blurb on the pack says: "Turmeric ... is an antidote for negative elements. The Tulasi Turmeric aroma brings on luck and prosperity". So it seems an interesting choice for an incense scent, and I was curious to try it.

But, wow, was I not expecting for how foul it would be. This is cheap perfume-dipped incense so I wasn't expecting top quality, but I am stunned at how nasty it is. At first it smells like burning hair. Then when it settles in, it smells like a barnyard. Keep it away from the kitchen! And no point in using it to cover up nasty smells in the toilet, as it smells just as bad!

This was (until I burned the Tulasi Green Apple later) the worse ever smelling incense I have ever encountered. You simply can't use this in the house, or anywhere you can smell it.  I was going to throw it away, but I have kept it to amuse friends on just how foul an incense can get.  No score, of course.


Date: Aug 2017 Score: 0
***

More Tulasi reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment: