Incense In The Wind

Radiating Incense In The Wind - a painting by Hai Linh Le

Sunday 31 December 2017

Vijayshree Golden Nag Champa Masala Cones




This is lovely. Sweet and musky, with an evocative retro feel. This reminds me of good incense from the Seventies. It is clean and gentle, yet with a deep and yummy scent.  I adore this. It is less complex and heady than other Nag Champa - relying more on the musky tones of frangipani.

Date: April 2018   Score: 41




I got this box of masala Nag Champa cones for £1.50 from mindbodyspiritonline. The shape is unusual, instead of the usual rounded cone, it is a four sided pyramid, formed and shaped by hand. It has a pleasant pungent note on the cone. When burning it is fairly sweet and musky. Very pleasant. It doesn't quite transport me, but it informs the room very gently, and creates a warm, seductive and welcoming atmosphere. I like it. The more I burn it the more I like it - there's an engaging jammy essence to the base muskiness. It's not what I would normally understand as a Nag Champa - it seems to contain plumeria or frangipani, rather than the magnolia or  champaca of Nag Champa. Normally such incenses are simply called Champa, but Vijayshree have chosen to call it Nag Champa, which expands my understanding of what is Nag Champa.

The  company was founded in 1990, and has three sites in Bangalore.  They use all natural ingredients, such as halmaddi (allanthus manbarca), nagchampa (mesua ferrea linn), sandalwood, and loban (boswellia sernata roxb).


Date: Dec 2017 Score: 38




Nag Champa

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment: