Incense In The Wind

Radiating Incense In The Wind - a painting by Hai Linh Le

Saturday 12 December 2015

(Mysore Sugandhi) Aargee Rose tube series (discontinued)


Third review - scroll down for earlier

Yeah. The scent on this machine-made perfume-dipped charcoal stick has lasted well. This is the same packet I first reviewed in 2015, and they still smell fresh. Some perfume-dipped incense fades quickly, while others remain potent. It appears to be that sticks/cones with a high percentage of charcoal powder hold the scent for better and longer than those which are mainly made from wood powder. But I think that's only part of the story - I think the quality of the perfume solution must be a significant factor. Anyway - this is still a decent floral scent that I enjoy, and would quite happily reach for again.

Date: July 2018   Score: 30   [Average score: 28] 


Second review

Perfume-dipped rose incense is rarely going to be a big hit with me. This is a modest sort of incense, though, to be fair, it is not offensive, and is quite tolerable. There is a rose scent, and there are few off notes. It's a bit too old ladies knickers for me, but it can be burned in the main rooms of the house without any problems. I guess if you like rose scent, you'd like this. There is something quite old fashioned about this - the old school circular tube, and the old fashioned rose scent - it reminds me a lot of Mysore Sughandi Gateway of India - I wonder if it's the same sticks?

I'm up and down with this scent. I lit a few sticks this morning to freshen up the house, and I really enjoyed the scent - old fashioned, yes, perfume-dipped, yes, but not offensive, and quite joyfully floral. When I first encountered this scent, as Mysore Sughandi Gateway of India, I really loved it, but over time I began marking it down, while at the same time, marking up my successive experiences with Aargee Rose. I can't fully explain the ups and downs, except that personal moods, and times of day may have an influence. Whatever, I have particularly enjoyed the scent today, and will explore more of Mysore Sughandi's incense range.

Date: March 2017   Score: 32


First review

Smells of toilet cleaner on the stick. Smells of vague chemicals when burning. Not a great incense this. I am rarely impressed with rose scented incense, especially when chemically created as here. Cheap, and while not offensive, not really a scent to enjoy.

Date: Dec 2015   Score: 20


Note: The British importer Aargee commissions a number of Indian incense makers to make incense for them under a variety of brand names and styles.  The Argee tube series, which are of basic scents - machine dipped, very heady and flowery, packaged in retro tubes with colourful, old fashioned wrappings, are by Mysore Sugandhi.

***

Ratings of other incense by Aargee

Vintage Incense
(Incense brand
not currently available)

Mysore Sugandhi

Best rose incense

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment: